We do not take a "one size fits all" approach. As such, there is no set fee for a given evaluation (except for Admissions testing) because each assessment is unique. Please visit the admissions testing page for a full list of associated fees. You are invited to contact us for a free consultation for all other types of assessment and consultation. After having the opportunity to gather relevant information, the clinician will provide you with a testing plan as well as a carefully articulated (and formally presented) estimate of cost.
Our clinicians typically bill at a rate of $210 per hour, which was just increased for 2020 after many years. However, they reserve the right to bill at a different rate for consultation services depending on the nature of the engagement. For most testing processes, cost includes time for preparation, clinical decision making/planning, face-to-face testing and consultation, collateral contacts (i.e. talking with parents, teachers, significant others, doctors), scoring and analysis, report writing, etc. Feedback with the client and/or parents is included. Additional post-report meeting attendance and consultation is billed separately.
Full payment in advance is only required for Saturday and holiday admissions testing appointments.
a safe environment for all
We work very closely with testing participants and share materials. There are two main reasons why cancellation is needed if participants are sick:
1. Studies show that even the common cold can negatively impact cognitive functioning. We want to get a sense of true functioning, under typical conditions.
2. We work in very close proximity to testing participants and share materials. Out of respect for our health and those for whom we are responsible, we follow CDC guidelines with fidelity and take extra precaution. This means that you should not come to our office if you:
* have had a fever in the last 2-3 days. CDC recommends that you stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone except to get medical care or for other necessities. (Your fever should be gone for 24 hours without the use of a fever-reducing medicine.)
* have been ill with vomiting or diarrhea in the last 3-4 days. Norovirus is highly contagious and remains so even after you're feeling better. Infected people are contagious when they have symptoms but also spread it a few days before and after they have symptoms.
* are actively coughing or sneezing
We regularly sanitize shared materials, utilize air purifiers, and do not come to the office if we are sick. We will not test anyone who is symptomatic--but we will prioritize a rescheduled appointment, so please be in touch!
We aim to treat you and your family the same way that we would hope to be treated. Sometimes missing an appointment is outside of your control. If an admissions testing appointment is cancelled within 48 hours, a $50 fee may be charged. However, we require postponement in the event of illness to preserve a healthy environment for all. Therefore, that amount is applied towards a rescheduled session.
Cancelling a diagnostic testing appointment is more complex and we appreciate as much advanced notice as possible, as there is often a waiting list for our services. A signed testing agreement and payment of the individualized deposit is required to confirm.
WPA clinicians operate as "out of network" providers. Services may be covered in full or in part by your health insurance or employee benefit plan. Insurance typically reimburses at the conclusion of psychological evaluation. Therefore, you are responsible for making payment directly to us. In turn, you will receive a statement that is appropriate to share with your insurance carrier for reimbursement.
It is advisable to contact your provider well in advance of testing to determine what your coverage may be. Please be aware that as of January 1, 2019, widespread changes were made to the Current Procedural Terminology (CPT ® ) code set that drives how psychological and neuropsychological testing is billed. Reimbursement remains at the sole discretion of insurance carriers. They are guided primarily by medical necessity. Benefit verification is not a guarantee of coverage, and we encourage you to ask the following questions and follow up with a supervisor when uncertainty remains:
- What benefits do you have that cover psychological evaluation (primary billing codes 96130/96131 and 96136/96137) and neuropsychological testing (primary billing codes 96132/96133 and 96136/96137)?
- What is the rate of reimbursement? (confirm that this is for an out-of-network provider)
- Is pre-authorization required? (if yes, gather information about the process and required forms, then complete as much of the form as possible before forwarding to us*)
- Are there limits to the coverage? (diagnosis, deductible, number of hours, etc.)
*Please note that pre-authorization is often a detailed, time-consuming process of petitioning beyond the initial paperwork. We are unable to offer related guidance, as we are a small practice focused on clinical matters.Time spent in this engagement beyond 15 minutes is billed in 30 minute increments at the standard rate.
Reduced fee services are available on a limited basis. We continue to provide some pro-bono services under special circumstances.
Cash and check (made out to Washington Psychology Associates) are accepted for payment. We offer an electronic payment option (ACH) via Quickbooks.